by executive chef Alessandra Quaglia of Provence Marinaside, Vancouver, BC
Place the prepared oyster shells on a bed of rock salt on a rimmed baking sheet to keep them level while cooking and to make sure that the topping doesn’t fall off. Serves 8 as an appetizer.
- 40 small beach oysters
- 2 cups fine bread crumbs
- ¾ cup very finely chopped parsley
- ¾ cup finely chopped basil
- ¾ cup finely chopped chives
- 1/3 cup chopped garlic
- 1 cup clarified butter
- Salt to taste
- Lettuce for garnish (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. In a bowl, mix the bread crumbs, parsley, basil, chives, garlic and ¾ cup of the clarified butter. Add a pinch of salt.
2. Shuck the oysters, leaving the oysters in the larger side of the shell (be certain that the oysters are detached from the shell, and drain juice off).
3. Place the oysters in the half shell on a roasting pan or cookie sheet, and brush with a little of the remaining butter.
4. Cover the oysters with the topping mix.
5. Bake in the oven for 8-12 minutes or until crispy on top
Serve 5 to each person on a small plate with some green lettuce as garnish.